Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: «Pink Floyd Never Did Drugs» -- Cracked article

Thanks
    Contribute Click the image below to donate to Yeeshkul.

Default «Pink Floyd Never Did Drugs» -- Cracked article

I'm a Cracked reader, and to day's article talks about Pink floyd: 5 Pleasant Surprises About Famous People You Had All Wrong. Take a look at the section «#4: Pink floyd never did drugs». Especially this part:

Pink Floyd did not do drugs. Roger Waters has no idea why their music is associated with them.

Now, we're not going to say that members never dabbled in their youth, and founding member Syd Barrett's LSD abuse has been well documented, but according to keyboardist Richard Wright, they were clean by the time they were recording their most influential albums, long after Barrett had left the group. He flat out says, "If you mean Pink Floyd took drugs -- you're wrong. There is no way that I could play music and take any kind of drug at the same time."
    I might be mistaken, but I think this article is overly naive whent it comes to the band and drugs. Yes, they used it while making albums. Dave was smoking joint to at least 1976 (we have pictures that prove it), Roger too (at the time of Pompeii he was). We know that Dave and Rick had cocaine problems (and that Roger was using it too at some time). What do you thinkguys?

Thanks

All the band were extremely clever, especially Roger and personally I think they knew exactly what their audience wanted to hear having dabbled with drugs which obviously they did.
    Everybody knows that listening to music when having a spliff etc. 'heightens' the music and they knew this.
    That plus the visuals which again they took a lot of time in getting as good as possible at the time and the use of quad sound.
    Lets just say they were far too ****ing clever
    Were they 'spaced' at the time of making music? I very much doubt it but everybody else probably was! Ha!
    Last edited by pickard11; 08-20-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,315 Times in 43 Posts

I personally don't care if they ever take drugs or not, it's part of their personal lives, period. But they DID take drugs, there are pictures to prove it and some of their lyrics and their music prove it.

I would also agree to.. maybe, they did not take drugs while onstage. That's highly probably. But again we have a picture of Roger smoking pot at Earl's Court 1973 if I'm correct.

So anyway, I'm pretty sure they had their experience.
    Seamos estupendos amigos
    Dejemos la critica de lado
    la musica no tiene mensaje
    la musica no tiene moral
    la musica no tiene mensaje para dar
    y sin embargo te lo da

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gotta_be_crazy View Post
    But again we have a picture of Roger smoking pot at Earl's Court 1973 if I'm correct.
    I've seen the picture of Dave in '75/'76, but never this one. Any chance you could point me in the right direction?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,211 Times in 95 Posts

What you think?

homegrown.jpg

Dave is huge friends with McCartney and we all know Sir Paul loves his ganja.

Roger said in his interview with Howard Stern that he smoked alot of hash in the early 70's and that he did try acid more than once.

In the NYU student interview from 1970 with Rick admitting he smokes (even remarking that American 'grass' is good...some of it)

They may not have matched Zeppelin or the Stones in excess but they were smoking some good shit and everybody was screwing around with blow in the 70's -- the Floyd were no exception.

Plus,they were part of the Underground where everything,including water,was dosed -- there's no way they could have avoided it.

The real myth is the assumption that the lads were innocent tea sipping blokes who never dabbled in anything...Quite a naive belief.
    Last edited by Alan smithee; 08-20-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: pic for reference

Thanks

Don't forget the hilariously-infamous train-wreck of an interview on the Pompeii movie Director's Cut (the scenes in B&W) that smells like weed for miles around

Thanks

Boy that is a fat cigarette.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orgone Accumulator View Post
    Boy that is a fat cigarette.
    But a cigarette nontheless, in my opinion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatGoD67 View Post
    But a cigarette nontheless, in my opinion.
    Lets not forget nicotine, alcohol and possibly even caffeine are far harder drugs and more damaging in the long run than weed and they definitley smoked lots of tobacco and drank lots of alcohol. I used to think they were a drug band mainly because of the effect the live Ummagumma had on me during a psilocybe semilanceata experience decades ago. I was convinced it had been designed to be listened to whilst tripping. Maybe any band would have had the same affect I dunno but I'm sure Duran Duran would have made me throw up.

There is no doubt the music is trippy with the lush multilayering, whispered vocals, engulfiing synths, surprising sounds like voices and motorcycles. They're trying to create euphoria and confusion, to induce laughter and from the opening moments of Piper in Astronomy Domiine with Roger's scream, Syds howling and the greedy bastards drums, they try and freak us out. Same live with the sound surrounding you and echoing about the place to create a sense of nervousness and anticipation. The visuals too, the CWTAE flashpots (they could've given someone a heart attack!) and loads of dry ice and flying objects. Song structure too mimics the rise, peak and fall of the trip, and even DSOTM kind of does.

Dave always struck me as being a smoker and Roger I think is quoted as saying he and that car driver were more into alcohol and tobacco while Dave and Rick preferred pot. That was probably around '77 I think. After Roger left I hear coke in the music somehow. It has that assured up itself quality whilst actually being mediocre to crap most of the time. AMLOR definitely, Division Bell less so.

Regarding the fans, listening to Floyd used to be synonymous with smoking weed and most 70's Floyd fans I knew were tokers although some of the teenagers out in the sticks who couldn't get the stuff got turned on by the music alone, certainly the case for me when I started listening to them. Ultimately with or without drugs they create an aural glimpse of other places and were bound to be associated with toking when you remember most people at the time were being turned on by Cliff Richard, Val Doonican and Englebert Humperdink with the really out there youth choosing glam rock or the Bay City Rollers. Max Bygraves was still having hits for chrissakes!

I can't speak for more modern fans so maybe we need a poll, those who take/used to take and those who never have. Not much use on its oiwn though because you'd really need to do fans of other band too etc etc and then it gets ... yawn ..zzzzzz

Thanks

While other band from that era (LZ, Stones, The Who, etc.) are quite open about the drug use during their golden years and the rock-god era of the 70s. Pink Floyd changed their story many times. They rarely ever say the same stuff in interview years apart. I think they're responsible for the myth that they never took drugs after what happenned to Syd.

During live show? Certainly not. I believe them. They were too many people involve in making the show working (sounds, lights, stage crew) that they HAD to deliver the goods. Steve O Rourke would certainly not tolerate this kind of thing. Even Peter Grant stated that his boys were allowed to do anything, but the show HAS to happenned, so no drugs before the show (for alcohol, it's another story).

What is important is if it was used during the making of albums. In this case, it was. Cocaine was there during The Wall. It has been stated by the producers and the band. Did it works against them? Well, for Rick it did. But he wasn't clearly the only one. Roger did. During sessions in Paris for Pompeii, it was there. It was there during the whole 70s. They just switch stuffs.

Those thin red eyes can't lie. Trust us.